Thursday, February 09, 2006

Gazette - Nil

I was hyped about this album, I admit. And even now, it's exiting. Even though I heard it. Okay enough babble. REVIEW TIME!

So, we get another rapping intro, The End. I like that. So, first they were gangsters, and then they were plain VKers, and now they're... Rapping cowboys? Sweet. It doesn't go well into the next track though.

Nausea and Shudder - This song is cool. It's worth the six minutes. I actually think that it's appropriate. I LOVE Ruki's first vocal lines, that later get repeated, at 3:15. The verses rock too. I just love the shout-ey part too.

Bath Room - Nothing to see here. It's... Gazette.

Maggots - HELLO! I kinda missed heavy Gazette songs. This song is short and furious, which is something that I can't resist most of the time. The background shouts, though used alot, and by alot of bands really pay off here. What's weird is, while Nausea and Shudder feels really short, this song feels long. Hm. o_O

Namaatatakai ame tozaratsuita jounetsu - Not you too....

D.L.N. - booooooooooooooring

Shadow VI II I - Welcome back! When I first heard the sample, I was like YAY NEW ALBUM and didn't pay attention to the song. Then the second time, I kept listening to it over and over and over.. and now having the whole thing is awesome. I like the background singing. And the groovin' part that Ruki sings at one point. The Miyavi-song-rip-off-part is forgivable, because Ruki saves the day. <3 Woo. Good choice for a single.

Baretta - Whenever this song starts, I always think Call Me by 12012 is on, until the singing starts.. Then I'm like "Oh.. ::skip::"

Cassis - Come to think of it, the bass in the beginning is cool. (Read below for my review of the single blah blah blah)

Silly God Disco - Oh gosh. No. No. Stop. NO. AAAAH.

Discharge - hehehe.. discharge... Anyway. The beginning roar was like cleansing to my ears, after the poppy cheesy keyboard-ridden terror called Silly God Disco. This song is just what I wanted from them! A+.

Taion - Mmmm... I love this. Okay, it's a bit long, but definately worth it. At the end Ruki does his best Kyo impersonation, and it's adorable. This is definately a great closer. It sounds more.. serious than alot of the rest of the album, which is nice. The grunge-like riffs are really well done.

And so we have it, another good Gazette release. It flows perfectly into the next section of my playlist. Taion + Kagerou - Saigo no Kensa = weirdly well-going-together.. or however that goes... Well, anyway, I'm proud of Gazette. I expected to be semi-disappointed. Either they would give another Gama, Disorder, or a whole album of Cassis and Toguro's. Instead, they gave us all of it, all rolled up into one awesome ball of music.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No offense, but I want punch you...just a little bit.

Bathroom...this song happens to have a lot of experimental guitar riffs. You just gotta listen closely.

D.L.N. is far from boring. It's a very beautiful song, and the acoustic guitars have very detailed melodies. Reita's bass solo was very catchy.

Baretta - okay, seriously, you gotta stop comparing to other VKers. Baretta is one of best songs of GazettE. It perfectly mixes soft and heavy rhythms. Not to mention, everybody has a solo in here. Dueling guitars between Aoi and Uruha is always great to hear.

Silly God Disco is another Shadow VI II I, so I technically don't see how you can't like it. xDD

Taion is,by far, the best song on NIL. Aoi has a very beautiful, yet very light and simple acoustic guitar in the choruses which goes great alongside Uruha distorted guitar. Ruki and Kyo have very different styles, so I don't really hear a Kyo impersonation in there.

All-in-all, this is just my opinion of NIL.

Anonymous said...

Taion is a kind of tribute to tortured and murdered 16 year old girl in Japan. I think this song is really painful and that's its beauty. And the PV...