Monday, January 28, 2008

Deathgaze - insult kiss me/the studs - Niji no iro

I thought for sure Deathgaze was gone! But they aren't. And they're back. With 'insult kiss me'. Apparently now the bassist, Ai is on vocals. And it doesn't sound like it. On the first/title track, which is bland Deathgazeness, he could've said it was Sou, and I'd believe him. The riffs are still the drop A chug-chugs they've been doing forever. Nothing impressive. The remake(?) of disease is.. a remake. The screamed vocals are heavily distorted. Bleh. The song is uninspired anyway. Chaos is one of my favorite Deathgaze songs, and it'd be almost impossible to mess up. And it finally, FINALLY, starts on the right beat and doesn't confuse my ears anymore! But the bass thing in the beginning is gone. Oh well. The distortion actually works on this song. It's just that it becomes really apparent that Ai isn't the best screamer in the VK world. Sometimes his voice leaks. (That's a term I use to describe vocalists whose talking voices.. leak into their screaming. Where you hear the scream but you can also hear their talking voice too because of strain) Overall, I still get that good headbangey groovy feeling I would otherwise get. It's just that.. it's a shame the only song I'm into is a remake. In closing.. IS THAT ALL YOU'VE GOT?!

The Studs also released them some new music. Niji no Iro, the title track is.. bland. I still like it, but there's nothing that makes me go "wow this is cool". Aie saves this song with his awesome. Nagaeku Akairo also.. just sits there. And also is saved by Aie's awesome. Shakunetsu ha reido is dull as hell. In closing.. NO.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah I haven't Niji no Iro yet.

The Deathgaze single didn't live up to my own hype, but I've a feeling I'll like it better after a few more listens. Still looking forward to the next one though.