Thursday, January 10, 2008

Girugamesh - Girugamesh

So Girugamesh has a new album. And.. It's a new album. Shocking? Yeah, to me! I was expecting generic heaps of boredom. Ok, so...

Patchwork, which suprisingly does not ease in from the intro like J-albums usually do is a pretty cool song. It's in a new key (which is nice for bands to do), has a new rhythm type, new riff ideas, and all that. It's actually a song I don't listen to because of Satoshi. His vocals are pretty average here, but everything else is so well-crafted, that he didn't need to do something special. The intensity of the chorus is so awesome, it's hard to describe. The background vocals are mixed properly (They don't sound like an ogre chewing or someone banging on a metal door), the syllable timing choices are awesome as usual... Overall, I love this song.

Vermillion (c/w Slipknot song title) is just.. there. It's not easy enough to accidentally leave on, it's not good enough to listen to on purpose. I'll pass on this one.

Stupid awesome. Just plain awesome. It has all of the qualifications to be the the song they drag out forever but is still cool. It's just under 2 minutes on the album, but I'm sure it will last like 5-10 live. The chorus..type..thing is even cooler than Patchwork's. That background shouts are the best J-rock shouts this side of Dir en grey's Die. Satoshi's high..er pitched scream was something I had to hear a couple times. I was blown away.

Barikedo is clever in some areas, lacking in others. The verses are predictable, the section transitions are also predictable, but some parts are worth listening to. This is a fillerish song. Not total filler, but, nothing that stands out.

Shining is also filler. It may appeal to some, but.. eh. The chorus is sadly put to waste on this song. It's kinda cool. Oh well.

Shiroi Sokuseki doesn't do anything for me. It's really limp. It's been done before. Alot. Next.

Crazy-Flag is... good! But not spectacular. The sample was misleading. I thought it'd be an awesomefest.. but it isn't. It's just like "yeah I like this song ::headbang::" It should be better live.

[shoujo-A] is a title I swear I've seen before. I think from Kagerou. It's a nice thumpy rocker. Its smoothness overcomes the urge to skip it. It has a really nu-metally feel to it, which of course really appeals to me, and I love the thick bass tone. This is actually the song that should accidentally come on.

Rocker's is formulaic. Nothing special at all.

Dance Rock Night...

Domino is the song that let me know this album is ending. It's bleh.

Kowareteiku Sekai is a terrible PV choice. It's not really special. The melodies are simple and easy to think up. (Sadly like alot of their music..) but the ideas they're based on are full of potential (Sadly like alot of their music) and the climax gave my ears blue balls. Oh well.

So, in closing, I say...

TRY HARDER NEXT TIME

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a harsh reviewer!
:D

Mizaki said...

Like Popseoul but jrock related and not indirectly homophobic!

Anonymous said...

Hehehe :D

So d'you think it was better than 13's Reborn?

Mizaki said...

Uh, yes and no.

By songwriting standards, I'd say it's the best work they've done so far. There was alot more thought put into this, rather than just "headbang part, calmish verses, fist raising part, para-para chorus, slow down, repeat until bridge" for like every song.

By listening standards, no. There's nothing catchy to keep me listening or make me go "Hey I wanna hear blah blah so and so". I really do enjoy the songs, but they lack the spark that songs like Jarring Fly and even Goku had.