Monday, December 26, 2005

Nil - Scherzo

I expected not to like Nil, because I mostly like 'dark and heavy' music. I didn't know what I was going to hear from he-who-was-once-in-Malice-Mizer-then-was-in-a-band-called-Mega-8-Ball, Tetsu. I ended up like Nil though, because of this mini album.

Don't Leave Me Alone, Not! - This one is my favorite. It starts well, it ends well. It's good throughout the whole thing. It's hard to believe sometimes that someone who, over ten years ago, was in a band with MANA, now makes good sounding punk music. You go, Tetsu. It has good singalong quality.

Emergency Chords - Weak opening. Really weak opening. It sounds like it'll break off into some kind of boring VK-style song, but it gets better. Much better. It keeps my head bobbing for most of the song. I LOVE the start-stop section. Though it's shnort (which is good!).

Ghost Rider - This song is definately filler. It does just like, nothing. If Tetsu had an ounce more of angst in his voice, it'd sound a little better, but meh. Not a bad song, but it doesn't stand a chance next to the other songs.

A-ha-ha - This song kinda bores me.. It's fun and bouncy and whatnot blah blah blah... Next!

Scherzo - I like this song though. It brought my interest to keep listening back. I can see why this is the title track. The solo's nice!

Can You Hear Me - I kept humming the guitar lines after I learned them well enough to do so. I love this song too. The near-the-end part is really good. The 'aaaaah's are well placed. I think it's a good closer.

This mini album made me smile, and gave me faith in Tetsu. I remember just a while ago I thought he disappeared, until I was informed of Nil's existance. I'm glad I was.

No comments: