Monday, July 17, 2006

Deathgaze - Genocide and Mass Murder

This week I ain't doin' a track by track. It doesn't feel right at the moment. Okay, review time.

It opens up with a scream, which I was not expecting. I always fear heavy bands wussing out, so I've become a pessimist in that way. Venom, track one is very rhythmic with its vocal delivery. Sou still barks like a psuedo-Jon Davis, which is good. The next track sounds almost exactly the same, but still is enjoyable, though not very.. headbangable. It's more of a 'sing-along' song. Glad they no longer sound like KoRn though. Except for SxSxDxD, which is ripped straight from the KoRn book, with its odd guitar squeals.

The remakes are wonderful, I listen to them more. But then there's Grave... Grave has this groove that I like, alot. I never thought they could groove like this. The background synth is nice too. This song will suck live though unless they're amazing.

There are a few really nice moments on here, that break away from the 'greyness' that most of this album is. And that's why I'll be listening to it a ton. Like the short blastbeat in The Fist. All of the instruments stand out alot, to me. But it's mostly Sou and Ai that I listen to, though Naoto impresses me. So, in the end, this album actually is pretty good, despite the generic songs that aren't worth listening to (Which is the grey part). Somebody should just tell Deathgaze that soft songs aren't their thing, unless they're actually... like ballads or something. Not pop-rock stuff (Gethsemane). I still can't help but think of Lynch when I hear this, though.

Okay, there we have it again. A good album, in my opinion. It could have been ALOT better, just like Rentrer en Soi, but it's good enough to love!

No comments: